Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ricotta Mini Cakes

I don't really like ricotta. I grew up with cottage cheese as the substitute in ricotta recipes. However, I caved and bought ricotta for a recent meal I made. It didn't use much so I was left with a lot of leftover ricotta. I tried to trick my daughter into thinking it was cottage cheese. She didn't fall for it.

I was sifting through some older recipes I had collected when I found this recipe for these cookies. I figured it was good way to use up that extra ricotta but didn't expect that THEY WOULD BE SO GOOD!



Ingredients

2-1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c granulated sugar
1 egg
1 c ricotta
1 t vanilla extract
2 c confectioners sugar
3 T milk

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together; set aside
Beat butter and granulated sugar together until blended. Add egg, ricotta and vanilla, beating until combined.
On low speed and dry ingredients and beat until blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared pans. Bake until lightly browned around edges (my oven took 15 min.) Let cool 3 minutes on sheets then remove to rack to cool completely.
Beat confectioners sugar and milk together until well blended. Dip tops of cooled cookies into glaze and set aside until glaze is hardened.

These cookies only have a shelf life of about 2 days and then they start to dry out a little bit. My solution for this is to take them to a firestation for your husband and his hungry coworkers to polish off.

No comments:

Post a Comment