I love my slow-cooker. It's an appliance I've had for years but have only really started to use in the past year or so. I also love broccoli cheese soup, but have yet to find one that is easy to make AND tastes good. This was set up to be a dinner-winner right from the start because (1) I love my slow-cooker and (2) I love broccoli cheese soup. The stars must have aligned because this soup was delicious!
Creamy Broccoli Soup (adapted from I don't know because I, yet again, forgot to save the source...)
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth (or you can do what I do and just measure out a quart of water and add the necessary number of chicken bouillon cubes)
- 2 cups milk
- 20 oz. frozen broccoli cuts, thawed
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 7 oz Velveeta, cut into cubes (You know how Velveeta comes in enormous boxes? I actually found these tiny 4 oz. boxes hidden among all the giants so mine ended up being 8 oz--2 4 oz. portions...but it was still way better than having a half-used box of Velveeta lying around my house for weeks and ultimately being tossed in the garbage.)
- 1 1/3 cups instant mashed potatoes (yes I know this sounds weird but they are what end up making this soup delicious, I promise!)
- Combine broth, milk, broccoli, onion, pepper and 1 cup water in slow-cooker bowl. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 5 hours.
- Whisk Velveeta into slow cooker until smooth. Sprinkle instant potatoes over soup and whisk to combine. Serve immediately
Easiest dinner ever and it won't disappoint you!