Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mom's Macaroni and Cheese

I didn't expect to post to recipes back to back, but this macaroni and cheese (a.k.a. 'roni cheese) is a staple at our house and at my parents (especially when my daughter is there for dinner.)

I've had this so much throughout my life that I am pretty sure it is to blame for my love of dairy (and, therefore, my abnormally high cholesterol.) But anyway. Obviously I like it. And it is also really easy to make which makes me like it even more.


Mom's Macaroni and Cheese

Serves 4 (or 1 adult and a very hungry toddler)

Ingredients:
  • 3 c macaroni noodles
  • 3 c milk
  • 8 oz medium cheddar cheese, cubed
  • 1 t onion salt
  • 1 t dry mustard
  • Paprika
Cook the noodles according to package directions until al dente. Meanwhile, combine milk, cheese, salt and mustard in a blender. Drain noodles and place in a greased casserole dish. Pour blended cheese mixture over cooked noodles and stir until well mixed.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and stir again until well mixed. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake for additional 25 minutes or until golden, bubbly and crusty.

I once tried making macaroni recipe that calls for a white sauce and got so annoyed with how long it took that I gave up and went back to this.

A family tradition (if you can call it that) is to sprinkle our portions with seasoned salt and lemon juice. It is so delicious! Oh, and I've never had it with anything other than green peas. Except for tonight. We were out of peas so we had green beans. And it felt strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment